All international visitors to the state of Quintana Roo which includes Cancun, Playa Del Carmen and Tulum must pay a new tourist tax effective April 1, 2021. The new fee called Visitax will cost 224 pesos (USD $11) per visitor and must be paid before boarding your departure flight. Here is all the information regarding how to fill out the form, pay the tax online and the official website where payment can be made. Children 14 and under are not required to pay the visitor fee.
How To Pay The Cancun Visitax Fee Online
- All international visitors to Cancun will be required to fill out an online form. The form requires the following information:
- The date you will be departing Cancun
- How many people are in your party
- First and last name of each person in your party
- Birthdate of each person in your party
- Passport number
2. Once visitors have filled out the form, they will be redirected to a secure payment page to complete the online payment which can be made by credit card.
3. Once payment is completed, travelers will be provided with a QR Code that will need to be presented to airport security before boarding their departure flight.
Alternative Payment Methods For Visitax
New electronic terminals are also being set up at the airport where travelers will be able to make a cash payment for the new visitor fee.
Director General of the state tax administration, Rodrigo Díaz stated that the new tax will is not difficult to pay for visitors. “It’s expected to be an agile and simple transaction that won’t complicate visitors’ stay,” Díaz said.
Who Does The New Tourism Tax Apply To?
The fee applies to the following people:
- All international travelers visiting the Mexico state of Quintana Roo that are 15 years or older
- Visitors from Belize will pay 10 percent less
Who Is Exempt From The Visitax Fee?
- All national tourists
- Children 14 and younger
Why Is There A New Visitor Fee?
The new tax is expected to create more jobs and attractions which will better serve tourists long into the future. The state of Quintana is home to the ultra-popular tourist destinations of Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, Cozumel and Tulum. Throughout the pandemic, Cancun has been the top destinations for Americans and one of the most popular in the world.
Governor Carlos Joaquín González has said that the fee will generate 600 million pesos (US $29.1 million) in 2021.
Where To Make The Visitax Payment Online
All online payments must be completed through the official government website of Quintana Roo.
Plan Your Next Cancun Vacation:
Choose From Thousands of Cancun and Riviera Maya Hotels, Resorts and Hostels with Free Cancellation On Most Properties
Book Affordable Direct Flights To Cancun International Airport
↓ Join the community ↓
The Cancun Sun Community FB group has all the latest travel news, conversations and tourism Q&A’s for the Mexican Caribbean
Subscribe to our Latest Posts
Enter your email address to subscribe to The Cancun Sun’s latest breaking news affecting travelers, straight to your inbox.