Cancun and its surroundings are a paradise for adrenaline junkies and people looking for a vacation adventure. Famous for its underwater museum and high-speed adventures on the Nichupté Lagoon, Cancun also has some world-class adventure and theme parks to offer visitors. Whether you prefer water-based activities, flying high through the air on zip lines, or doing a loop-de-loop on a rollercoaster, Cancun and the Mexican Caribbean have some of the best parks in the country.
Read on to learn more about some of our favorites.
A few miles south of Playa del Carmen, Xcaret is one of the region’s original adventure eco-parks. Boasting over 50 attractions, this oceanfront park encourages visitors to explore the cenotes, coves, flowers, and plants native to Mexico.
There are plenty of activities for water babies, including:
- an underground river
- a beach and lagoon
- designated areas for kids that are a little less demanding.
If animals are more your thing, there are plenty to spot here
- manatees to flamingoes and monkeys to jaguars all live at Xcaret
- a butterfly house, plus an aviary where you can see all kinds of birds
- a rainforest trail.
With a huge list of things to do and see, Xcaret can fill a whole day with adventure and wonder.
Check out more information at: Xcaret Park
Perfect for families, Ventura Park is located between Cancun airport and the Hotel Zone, making it ideal for an easily accessible off-resort day out. It’s a traditional amusement park, with a wide range of attractions, like:
- Wet ‘n’ Wild Waterpark – featuring water slides and a lazy river.
- Fun World – a child-friendly area with a whole host of gentle rides, like crazy chairs, a mini rollercoaster, and a playground, so little ones don’t feel like they’re missing any of the fun.
- Underworld – a VR-enhanced world awaits you in Underworld, where you can play laser tag, relive classic Star Wars battles in the Battle Pod, or work your way around a laser labyrinth.
- Go-karts – everyone can enjoy speeding around this oceanfront race track at speeds of up to 25 mph.
- Aaah!Ventura – this zip-lining, bungee swinging zone will keep the more adventurous members of the family happy.
Check out more information at: Ventura Park
Xel-Ha is heaven for aqua lovers, with a whole raft of activities based in and around the water. Located between Akumal and Tulum, this park includes the following fun activities:
- Dive in and spend an hour or two snorkeling your way around all kinds of fish found at Xel-Ha.
- Climb the steps to the top of the lighthouse for incredible views over the park and beyond.
- Float through the underground river on an inner tube relaxing and taking in the beautiful scenery.
- Clamber up the Cliff Climb wall, then fling yourself off the edge and enjoy the 5m fall back into the clear, cool water.
- Walk the rope bridge above the water, then enjoy the Salpichanga zip line, ending in a welcome dip.
- Admire the ancient Mayan walls and cenotes found in the grounds of Xel-Ha.
Check out more information at: Xel-Ha
Voted the best adventure park in Cancun numerous times, Selvatica offers an across the board range of activities, with their ‘Gimme All’ entry buying you access to:
- The Skywalk rope course and bungee swing.
- One of the world’s fastest zip-line courses, with ten separate lines to enjoy (or tolerate, depending on your viewpoint).
- Tarzania zipline coaster.
- A 4×4 to navigate through the Mud Madness track.
- A masterclass where you can learn how to expertly mix tasty tequila cocktails.
- Natural cenotes to cool down after all that adventure!
Check out more information at: Selvatica
The perfect balance between nature and adventure, Xavage park is home to some of the scarier of Xcaret Parks’ attractions. As well as enjoying the stunning surroundings of the park, which is located south of Cancun airport, you should bring your adventurous spirit to fully take advantage of the following attractions:
- Kayak through Cancun’s only canals, and navigate a raft down the white water rapids.
- Wend your way through the challenging rope circuit – but keep your focus…and don’t look down!
- In the Splash Zone, the whole family can enjoy the numerous pools, slides, and fountains – plus, it’s great for cooling down.
- Fly above the trees on the zip-line course, traveling at speeds of up to 18mph.
- Beat the obstacle course in your very own monster truck.
Check out more information at: Xavage Park
Plan Your Next Cancun Vacation:
Traveler Alert: Don’t Forget Travel Insurance For Your Next Trip!
Choose From Thousands of Cancun and Riviera Maya Hotels, Resorts and Hostels with Free Cancellation On Most Properties
↓ Join the community ↓
The Cancun Sun Community FB group has all the latest travel news, conversations and tourism Q&A’s for the Mexican Caribbean
Subscribe to our Latest Posts
Enter your email address to subscribe to The Cancun Sun’s latest breaking news affecting travelers, straight to your inbox.