It’s finally here – the long-awaited winter season in the Mexican Caribbean has arrived, and with it, a bucketload of visitors ready to experience the vacation of a lifetime.
For Americans, Cancun is the reigning champion as the most desired place to be this winter, with hotel bookings skyrocketing once more, just as they had during the summer period when they came close to full occupancy levels.
Hot on its heels, places like Tulum and the Riviera Maya also see brilliant numbers of people arriving at their doorsteps, but Cancun with all its notoriety stays firmly as the number one favorite.
With that popularity, the government and hotels/businesses in tandem will do everything possible to match the demand, ensuring that you have the best winter ever!
Many tourists are looking for luxury this holiday season, and Cancun seems to have more of that on offer every time we check in, with booking rates going into the first quarter of 2024 already higher than the previous year.
Heavyweight hotel chains such as the Hilton and Hyatt have firmly cemented themselves as leaders in the luxury accommodation market within Cancun, opening their brand-new hotels with spectacular offerings.
@queentobi_x Replying to @hannahjane200 Hilton Cancun, all inclusive hotel. Aesthetics galore 😍 #hiltoncancun #allinclusive #mexico ♬ BEAUTIFUL – DJ Khaled
Tons of onsite restaurants, beach clubs, bars, pools, waterparks, luxury spa amenities, private beach access; you name it, they’ve got it.
It seems as though travelers are also not afraid to spend a little more on their vacation if the return is greater, with lots of people’s mindsets shifting after the pandemic to a ‘why wait’ mentality.
With these luxury accommodations offering everything you could ask for, as well as 24-hour security surveillance and access to all the fun that surrounds them, why wait indeed?
@rosasim Mexico is a dream 🌴 #fyp #cancun #luxurytravel #travel #cancunmexico #mexico #trscoral #vacationmode #luxuryresorts ♬ People (Sped Up) – Libianca & sped up + slowed
Increased Quality Of Experiences
As accommodation options grow bigger and better, so too does the quality of experiences on offer in Cancun and the Caribbean, with local authorities ensuring that every traveler has boundless opportunities when it comes to filling their vacation with activities.
- There are cenotes scattered all over the region, with a plethora of them in and around Cancun itself. Believed to have been sacred gateways to the underworld by ancient Mayans, these breathtaking, scenic swimming holes are an amazing day trip for anyone looking for a change of scenery from the beach coastlines.
- You can swim with whale sharks as they congregate around Isla Mujeres, a stunning island right next to Cancun. These majestic creatures are usually found feeding on plankton and are completely harmless to humans; a total once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
- Keeping along the lines of the water theme, you can also visit the underwater museum MUSA, also situated in Isla Mujeres, which has man-made cement structures buried on the ocean floor and can be found by scuba diving, snorkelling or on a glass-bottom boat.
- Now on dry land, you can marvel at one of the world’s new seven wonders, Chichén Itza, an ancient Maya ruin dating back thousands of years. There are also smaller archeological sites, such as El Rey, El Mecca and San Miguelito, and they are perfect for any budding archaeologist wanting to catch a glimpse of a seminal time period in the world.
- There are of course Blue Flag beaches galore; awarded to any beach that is environmentally and scenically significant. There are far too many to list here but an absolute standout is of course Playa Defines, which is known for meeting great sustainability standards, and is also a little less busy than some of the more popular hotspots.
- Throw yourself into the local culture by visiting Parque de las Palmas in El Centro, which is home to live music, dances, concerts and street artists bringing the area to life and is perfect for a quintessential Mexican experience. Here you are going to be able to taste some authentic Mexican food from the markets, as well as purchase arts and crafts that you can take home with you in your suitcase!
- The new Maya Train is also set to begin operations next month with its inaugural route from Chiapas, Palenque to Cancun, and will have stops at numerous ‘magical towns’, archeological sites and environmental zones, meaning there is no excuse for every visitor to experience a slice of the fun!
The list is endless, and with more openings and plans announced every single day, you are not going to be bored in Cancun, that’s for sure!
What The Future Holds
As the popularity of Cancun continues to go stratospheric, is it ever a question of whether it will slow down?
Now with the highest travel security rating of Category One, awarded by the U.S for the first time in two years, more and more popular airlines are increasing flight routes as well as scheduled departures to the Mexican Caribbean.
This will only add to the already hugely busy Cancun International Airport timetable, which sees around 500 flights per day.
Now with the introduction of the new Tulum International Airport, some pressure is expected to be taken off, but does that mean that Cancun will become any less popular than before?
We think not…
Plan Your Next Cancun Vacation:
Traveler Alert: Don’t Forget Travel Insurance For Your Next Trip!
Choose From Thousands of Cancun and Riviera Maya Hotels, Resorts and Hostels with Free Cancellation On Most Properties
↓ Join the community ↓
The Cancun Sun Community FB group has all the latest travel news, conversations and tourism Q&A’s for the Mexican Caribbean
Subscribe to our Latest Posts
Enter your email address to subscribe to The Cancun Sun’s latest breaking news affecting travelers, straight to your inbox.